Discovering The Keratin Treatment
I’ve struggled with my curly hair all my life, so I’m very excited to share this amazing solution to kinks and frizz with my fellow curly gals (or just those who want generally smoother hair!
WHAT IS KERATIN? Keratin is a chemical solution that is applied to the hair, locked in with a flat iron, and rinsed out for smoother, straighter hair that lasts months.
A few years ago, I began researching hair salons that offered Keratin hair treatments for curly hair in NYC. I was absolutely amazed by the results I got from the Keratin treatment– after dealing with my curls for about 25 years, getting out of the shower with silky, (almost completely) straight hair was literal magic happening in front of my eyes. The best part of this treatment was that it lasted about 6 months, maybe a bit longer. It was incredible, and I went back time and time again to get this same treatment for the amazing price.
As we can all agree, it’s was tough not having access to hair salons during the COVID-19 quarantine. Whether you’re a curly gal, highlights gal, or just haven’t had a haircut in months, I think everyone was feeling the pain a little bit. I began minorly panicking that my curls were coming back in full force, especially with the summer humidity looming. So, as you can imagine, being an avid DIY-er, I took matters into my own hands, and haven’t turned back.
Keratin Treatment At Home
Not only are at-home Keratin treatments SUPER affordable, but I feel like they aren’t as harsh on my hair. After years of getting Keratin treatments at the salon, my hair started growing slower, and I noticed that when the curls started growing back, they weren’t the same. This worried me a bit because if I ever wanted to go back to my curly hair, I was scared that they would never get their bounce back. Doing a Keratin hair treatment at home was great because (although the results didn’t last as long as the salon treatments) my curls started growing back normally!
After trying a few kits out and doing some research, I decided on the Kerazon Brazilian Keratin Treatment Complex Blowout Kit from Amazon this time around, and was very pleased with the results!
Here’s what’s included in the Kerazon Brazilian Keratin Treatment Complex Blowout Kit:
- STEP 1: Keratin Shampoo. Alkaline PH formula, detoxifies and deeply removes build up and impurities from hair strands, preparing all types of hair texture for the smoothing treatment.
- STEP 2: Keratin Complex. Developed with Green Keratin obtained from hydrolyzed cereal proteins blended with amino acids and enriched with Buriti Oil provides hair cuticle alignment, weightless, smoothness and intense shine to hair without frizz.
- STEP 3: Keratin Mask. Intensive restorative formula enriched with Green Keratin and Buriti Oil restores hair ph providing maximum conditioning, strengthening and nourishment to the hair.
A few things you may need that aren’t included in the kit: fine tooth comb, hair clips, blow dryer, flat iron, gloves, towels, hair brush.
Keratin Treatment Before And After
How To Use:
- Wash your hair TWICE with the STEP 1 shampoo. Rinse thoroughly.
- Dry with a blow dryer about 80% dry.
- Apply STEP 2 Keratin Treatment and comb evenly through your hair. Focus on spots that are especially frizzy/kinky (roots, ends, face-framing strands). Comb the product through your hair to the ends with your fingers or a comb. (Warning: Don’t rub the product TOO much into your scalp because it can hurt a little bit!)
- Dry with a blow dryer about 100% dry with COLD to WARM air. (Note: cold air will take a little while.)
- Flat iron hair in small sections, focusing on problem areas like roots and ends. Make a few passes on each strand to lock in the Keratin complex.
- Completely rinse out the Keratin product.
- Apply STEP 3 Keratin Treatment Mask and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Rinse & style!
**WARNING: As with Keratin treatments in the salon, the products may irritate your eyes. Especially when you are using the flat iron on the product (there will be a decent amount of steam) you’ll want to do this in a well-ventilated area (ideally an open window and a fan)!**
One more tip I’ll share with you all is to use non-sulfate shampoo! This will help your Keratin treatment last much longer, and will keep your hair silky smooth every day!
Other At-Home Keratin Treatments: