It’s that time again, people!! The weather is beginning to warm up, people are shedding layers, and it’s (almost) time to hit the beach! I may need an entire bottle of self-tanner before taking the plunge, but I can’t wait to start rocking some new swimsuit trends this spring and summer.
To prepare for the season, I ordered a bunch of swimwear from Adore Me, and I’m so excited to share some similar styles with you all. I absolutely love that they have bra-sized swimwear (both wire-free and with underwire), especially because their fit is spot on (check out my recent post about bra fit here).
After doing some research and (probably too much) shopping, I’m ready to share with you all the 15 biggest swimsuit trends for spring and summer 2021! From the classic one piece swimsuit to cutouts and tie-dye, these 15 trends are some that you’ll definitely want to explore before frolicking on the beach this year.
Disclaimer: This post contains a few (not all) affiliate links, which means that if you choose to take my suggestions and make a purchase, I will make a little money so I can keep up these super cool blog posts. This in no way affects my editorial decisions, which are always genuine recommendations and only products or brands I would purchase myself.
1. Animal Print
Okay, yes, I am doing this list alphabetically, but it’s also only natural to start with my all-time favorite trend. Animal print is such a fun yet timeless trend, and every year I’m happy to see it trending again! This year, think minimalism and sophistication combined with wild prints!
- Adore Me Calypso Contour ($40)
- Net-A-Porter Net Sustain Faithfull The Brand Delhi belted snake-print swimsuit ($189)
- Montce Snake Rib Paula Tie-Up Bikini Bottom ($118)
You’ll need to load on the sunscreen with this one to avoid weird tan lines, but an asymmetrical one piece swimsuit, swimsuit top, or swimsuit bottom is always a head-turner. Simple yet unique, asymmetrical swimsuits are a fun way to stand out in the crowd.
- SheIn Two Tone Rib One Shoulder One Piece Swimsuit ($13)
- Adore Me Elle Contour ($40)
- Athleta Rib Asym One Piece ($108)
3. Boy Shorts
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked by friends and family, “what’s up with everyone’s butt cheeks hanging out on the beach?” The thong bathing suit bottom trend is on its way out (bittersweet?) and boy shorts are making a splash for 2021! These bottoms combine a cute, sexy look with the feel of modest swimwear.
- Adore Me Zayda Contour ($50)
- Target All in Motion™ Cream Animal Print Women’s Swim Boyshorts ($23)
- J. Crew Boy short bikini bottom ($45)
4. Bra Tops
The world of bra fit is constantly advancing (as I explained in my recent Bra Fit 101 post), so when brands starting rolling out bra-sized swimsuits, I couldn’t have been happier. Whether it has an underwire is or wire-free, bra tops are a supportive, sexy, flattering trend that is definitely here to stay.
- Victoria’s Secret Zuma Demi Top ($40)
- ASOS Design recycled fuller bust mesh insert underwired swimsuit ($20)
- J. Crew Women’s 1993 underwire top ($62)
5. Brazilian Bottoms
While the racy thong bottoms are on their way out, racy Brazilian bottoms are in! The sexy trend, frequently sported by celebs like Ashley Graham and Kourtney Kardashian, features minimal, slinky ties worn high on the hip.
- Adore Me Lane Contour ($50)
- SheIn Rib Frill Trim Tie Side Bikini Swimsuit ($12)
- Curate Signature High Hip Bikini Bottom ($66)
6. Bright Colors
Bright colors and neons are trends that keeps repeating year after year. Bright colors look great in the sunlight, and the best part is, they can make anyone look super tan, which I love. Even if you’re not into wearing colorful clothes, bright swimwear is a chance to have fun…in the sun!
- Target Shade & Shore™ Women’s Braid Side Monokini ($35)
- Adore Me Leenah Contour ($50)
- Amazon Womens Crop Top Swimsuit ($13)
Similar to asymmetrical suits, watch out for tan lines with this trend! Cutouts are a fun way to show a little more skin without giving up modesty. Keyholes and cutouts take a simple swimsuit and turn it into a unique, funky piece that will be around and trendy for a while!
- Adore Me Brinlee Contour ($40)
- Athleta Entwined One Piece Swimsuit ($108)
- Zaful Ribbed Cutout Bikini Set ($14)
I absolutely love a dramatic deep-v (anything dramatic, TBH). It creates the illusion of a longer torso, elongating your body, which is very flattering. Be sure to read reviews or try these on in a store before purchasing to make sure your ladies are snug as a bug in a rug before buying (nobody wants a Paris Hilton style nip slip at the beach).
- Abercrombie & Fitch Triangle Cheeky One Piece Swimsuit ($49)
- J. Crew Ruffle deep-V one-piece swimsuit ($118)
- Old Navy Flutter-Sleeve V-Neck Swim Top ($35)
9. High-Leg Bottoms
If you’re not into the racy nature of the Brazilian bottoms, high-leg swimsuit bottoms are a great alternative. This style shows a bit more skin and elongates the look of your legs, which I love! These often come high-waisted as well, and are definitely up there on my list of favorite trends this season.
- Pacsun LA Hearts Light Blue Cora Scrunch One Piece Swimsuit ($50)
- Missguided contrast tie dye high leg cut out swimsuit ($17)
- Adore Me Lissa Contour ($40)
10. High Waisted
The high waisted swimsuit trend made a huge splash years ago, and it’s still going strong this season! I love how flattering a high waist is on the body, and I also love that I can have a few drinks on the beach and not worry about bloating 😉
- Adore Me Shelby Contour ($45)
- Romwe Solid Ruffle Hem High Waist Bikini Swimsuit ($13)
- Spanx Adjustable High-Rise Swim Brief ($88)
11. Intricate Backs
Business in the front, party in the back!! Strappy backs and back details are another way to spice up any swim look. Whether it’s macrame, racerback or slinky straps, intricate back details are always a good idea when it comes to swimsuits.
- J. Crew Cross-back bandeau one-piece swimsuit ($98)
- ASOS recycled twist strappy low back swimsuit ($23)
- Amazon Hilor Women’s Macrame Back Tankini Swimsuit ($13)
12. Simple Details
Sometimes when it comes to looking stylish, it’s all in the details. With small details, you can keep your swimsuit look minimal but trendy and unique! This is another one of my favorite trends of the season!
- Shopbop Zimmermann Brighton Scarf Tie Swimsuit ($295)
- WeWoreWhat Chain-Detail Bandana Bikini Top ($95)
- Madewell Second Wave Reversible Spaghetti-Strap Bandeau Bikini Top ($45)
13. Special Materials
As I’ve mentioned, swimwear technology has come such a long way, and it’s constantly advancing! Whether its waterproof velvet, water-wicking, or mesh, special materials are just another way to spice up your swimsuit collection.
- Zaful Underwire High Waisted Velvet Bikini Swimsuit ($15)
- Patagonia Long-Sleeved Swell Seeker One-Piece Swimsuit ($89)
- Target Shade & Shore™ Mesh High Waist Bikini Bottom ($23)
It’s no secret that tie-dye is one of the hottest trends in fashion right now! I love that this fad is back, and I’ve been dabbling in making some of my own too (check out my recent post on how to tie-dye here). It was only a matter of time before this trend hit the swimwear world, and we now have plenty of tie-dye swimsuit top and swimsuit bottom options!
- Mytheresa Ganni Tie-dye one-piece swimsuit ($112)
- Adore Me Averie Contour ($40)
- H&M Triangle Bikini Top ($10)
15. Upsidedown Bikini
This trend is one of the newest and most unique ones that I’ve seen. I was a little confused about this swimsuit trend at first until I saw Kylie Jenner and Khloe Kardashian rocking the hell out of it. Fashion never fails to revolutionize! So, let’s flip those bikini tops upsidedown ladies…for the sake of fashion…I guess.
**You can probably do this with any triangle bikini that you have (if the straps are long enough) but these brands are catching on and rolling out swimsuit tops specifically in this style!
- PrettyLittleThing Waffle Texture Halterneck Bikini Top ($16)
- Sommer Swim Xena Venere Halter Bikini Top ($69)
- Sommer Swim Xena Baroque Halter Bikini Top ($69)
I’m hoping that this post has helped you (or tempted you to) want to try out some brand new swimsuit styles for spring and summer 2021! After a long, hard winter, I can’t wait to rock some of these new trends once the weather is beach-worthy!
Even if you’re not ready for the beach and just lounging in the backyard or park, be sure to check out Adore Me‘s awesome swim collection so that you’re soaking up the sun in style this year!
Leave a Reply